Saturday, November 13, 2010

Teen of the Week (Lancaster Online)

Octorara senior following her faith
Teen of the Week Intelligencer Journal
Lancaster New Era

Nov 12, 2010 20:35
Atglen

By JOAN KERN, Correspondent

Octorara senior following her faith

Teen of the Week Intelligencer Journal

Lancaster New Era

Nov 12, 2010 20:35

Atglen


Faith guides Amanda King's life.

"(Jesus Christ) is the foundation of my life," said the Octorara Area High School senior, who ranks first in her class. "I couldn't see myself outside of his will for me."

And she's willing to go wherever God leads her.

After a lifetime in Chester County with a close-knit extended family, this student who enjoys academics, the arts and athletics will begin her journey to adulthood at Liberty University, a Christian school in Lynchburg, Va.

There she will prepare for a career as a high school math teacher and soccer coach, with a minor in Spanish.

After college she wants to teach in Latin America for a while. Working at an orphanage on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic in ninth grade sparked her interest in the work.

"I was exposed to how much help they need, especially in education," she said.

Throughout high school, the National Honor Society student with a 4.8 grade-point average has been on the honors track. She will graduate with eight Advance Placement courses to her credit.

Her career path seems pre-ordained.

"My grandfather was a math teacher. He played math games with us growing up."

King, 18, is the daughter of Timothy and Jonna King, of Cochranville. She has a twin brother, Jonathan, and a sister, Kaitlin, 16.

"My family's really close. We depend on each other a lot. I know they'll always love me no matter what," the teen said.

King's mother planned to be a math teacher also, until she veered into nursing. Amanda thought she would follow her mother.

"A lot of people say I'm an exact replica of my mother. My mother says I'm a better version. I really love my mom. I'm happy people say that about me. We both tend to have a servant-kind-of heart."

But after discovering she is "squeamish around blood" while volunteering at Jennersville Regional Hospital, in West Grove, she turned to teaching.

"I saw how much fun my teachers were having in school," she said. "I really like school, especially the academic part of it. It's something I'm good at, something I want to share."

This past summer, she volunteered at the Octorara Primary Learning Center.

The teen who "likes to spread out — try everything" is involved in numerous activities at school.

She is president of the Character Club, which organizes "fun things to get students excited about school."

She is a member of the Academic Team, which competes against other schools in a " 'Jeopardy!'-like" contest.

A soccer player since elementary school, she was co-captain of the team this season and plans to play intramural soccer at Liberty. Off-season she runs to stay in shape.

She picked up the trumpet at age 9 and plays in the concert and marching bands.

And she sings in the chorus; chorale, for which she auditioned; Sopraltos, a girls chorus; and annual school musicals.

She enjoys reading the classics, including "Crime and Punishment" most recently. "Pride and Prejudice" is her favorite so far.

And she likes to take photographs of nature, especially of a pond near her house in the woods.

"It's nice and peaceful. It's nice to see nature and the beauty of it," she said.

In the summers, King works for her father at T.L. King Cabinet Makers. Her wages go into a savings account.

"Both my parents are great," she said. "I love them a lot."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Although I asked people to sign their comments (or at least use their initials), I have only been getting 'anonymous' comments. I have changed the settings to that the posts will need some sort of identifier.