Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bullying in School

The Daily Local News has some articles about bullying in area schools, as well as a summary of policies for a few districts.

Taunting Becomes A Complex Problem

'No Child is Safe in That School'

Expert: Bullying Policies Often Fail to Address Specifics

An Overview of Bullying Policies In Local School Districts

Drivers Train to Thwart Bullies on School Buses

Octorara's policy was not included in the policy article, so I am including it below:
Policy 248 1



The one thing that bothers me is the mention of cyber communication.  If that is taking place at someplace other than school, I don't see how the school can legally get involved.  I do know that some parents think the school should be involved, but if it isn't on school grounds, it really isn't any of their business.  And before anyone says "Wait until it is your child involved" - we have dealt with it in our household.  Anything that happened in school, we dealt with the school.  Anything that happened outside of school - such as harrassing instant messages, etc., we dealt with ourselves.

I am creating a poll similar to the one in the Daily Local - but it is specific to Octorara - look for it on the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Although I asked people to sign their comments (or at least use their initials), I have only been getting 'anonymous' comments. I have changed the settings to that the posts will need some sort of identifier.